Saturday, January 22, 2011

Play dates and pears

This morning I got to spend some really sweet time with a church friend of mine and her two year old son.  On my way to her place I stopped and picked up some donuts from a nearby shop (her son kept calling them cookies, and one time he called it bread.  To make the whole thing even more cute, he only ate the chocolate pieces).  We updated each other on our goings-on, and I confessed to her some nervousness about teaching a ballet class next month.  She offered unwavering encouragement which was so much appreciated.

It was so nice to get to know this friend better, and get to spend some time getting to know her son too.  I continue to be amazed with her openness about her life and can't help but wonder what the world would be like if more people were willing to share their experiences.  Watching her son play was beautiful, and I'm humbled by the constant learning and growing that he does every day.  Her family was in and out, and despite being a guest in their home, conversations with her sister and parents made me feel more family than stranger.

Em and I have plans to introduce ourselves to one of the neighbors downstairs Monday evening.  This lady seems so sweet; the first day both of us were in the apartment she put a pink gift bag on our door.  Inside were two ripe pears and a note welcoming us and inviting us to stop by sometime. (What is it with old people and giving fruit?  The lady next door to my grandmother used to give us apples every Halloween.)  But I like pears.  And new neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment